Tuesday 8 December 2009

A needle and thread

I put on a new pair of trousers this morning, and they were too long. I went looking for a needle and some thread, or at least a little sewing kit, but I couldn't find a single one. I reckon you can find just about anything in Singapore, but I couldn't find a needle and thread. I went up and down Orchard Road asking in every little store that looked as if it might stock at least a sewing kit, but with no luck. Repeatedly I was told to go to Watsons, and given directions (all of this in the underground walkways in Orchard Road). Now I have no sense of direction, and if I don't have landmarks, I get completely lost after a couple of turns. So I had to keep coming up to the surface to check on where I was, before going back down into the tunnels. After about half an hour of searching, I finally found Watsons, but they didn't have any sewing kits or needles and threads. I went into Tang's Department Store in the hope that I'd find a haberdashery department, but again I was out of luck.

It all ended well, though, because the hotel concierge managed to rustle up a little sewing kit for me, so now my trousers aren't dragging along the floor any more.

PS (a few hours later) I found some needles and thread in a small shop in Bugis Street. I wasn't really looking any more, which is probably why I found them.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaa..! We can't have you going about with your pants dragging!
    Glad you found what you needed girl!!hughugs

    ReplyDelete